Saturday 2 August 2014

T- minus 19 days in New Plymouth



So we have 19 days left in New Plymouth before I head to Auckland for a month with the boys.

This means after months of slow progress things are about to speed up.

So where are we at? 

 We have finished getting our house 'renter ready' - on a side note - being a landlord is expensive and it takes a lot of work and maintenance to make a house 'low maintenance'. If it wasn't for generous offers of help from family and friends - this would have been near impossible with two babies and limited weekend time that Garth has, because lets face it - most of the jobs he has needed to do. 
Beginning to cut down the hedge. Had gotten a 'little' out of control



we weeded!







new fence in, bark added


Got the big guy on the job


My main job in the next week or so is to count everything we own and give its value for insurance purposes. Our move counselor ( I know, how American is that!) needs these forms complete in the next week


page 1 of about 7
 
And so now I'm counting. Counting socks, toys, towels, books, wine glasses, everything.
I'm even having to count our marble. Though that one was pretty easy.

In the last 24 hours I have worked out that 
- I can accommodate 102 of my closest friends popping over for a beverage simultaneously. 
- I have 41 ramekin, or small serving bowls - dip anyone? 
- I have 19 pillow cases for 5 pillows 
- I have 34 towels for 4 people. Meaning we could each use 8 towels a day and i would still have two spare.
- Horrifically ( and dont tell Garth) Theo has 53 (!) size two t shirts. In my defence though, there is a lot of variation across stores so some of these are the result of him growing out of size two at one place and into size two at another. 

Counting everything is slow going and giving it an approximate value has taken me hours. The hope is that no one will actually use these forms and our stuff will arrive intact. But if we did (Rena) I want them to be as accurate as can be.

The counting has provided for me the chance to sort through everything which has been needed. As part of the move Im not actually allowed to pack anything. The company that is shipping our stuff has to take responsibility that nothing will get broken and to take it through US customs (did you pack your own bag when you go through the airport, sort of thing) so they pack it all for us.
 It was a major relief finding out this arrangement as I don't think, with two babies, I would have had the time to actually pack anything especially towards the end with all the stuff I use daily. This arrangement means I walk out of the house with our suitcases and leave everything for someone else to worry about. 

The only downside of course is that when you pack you usually sort through all that extra stuff you have accumulated but never used - so as I have been going through everything and counting it, I have been sorting out stuff that I don't want to take and donating, giving or throwing away.


and how are we feeling?

Impatient I think - both of us are just wanting to get through the next few weeks and get all the little jobs that are left done.  To know that our tenants are happily settled in our house will be a huge relief. 

As for the goodbyes I will have to say in the next 20 days. I'm going with a head in the sand approach.




No comments:

Post a Comment